Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

GARDEN PASTA




 My beautiful pink tomato plant is producing tomatoes like crazy! Every day I go out to the garden I find more ripe tomatoes hidden in the bush. It is funny, I thought I was going to lose this plant in the begging of the summer. I'd originally planted it in a pot and it was getting rot. So I transplanted it to the front garden and it has become very, very happy out there.
I've been somewhat lazy lately and lacking in the cooking department. I guess after the ramp up and all the work for the party, I just needed to take a bit of time off. Also, with Terry being gone, I took it easy.

Yesterday I spent the later half of my day fertilizing all my plants and puttering a bit in the garden. The patio also needed some attention after all the hoopla of the party. Matt was here so he moved our new little fountain  (that arrived after the Open House) to a place we had chosen on the side patio. I then got into moving and redoing lights around the gazebo's.

I knew I needed to make something and use my tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, red peppers & squash from the garden. 

I pulled out a pan and put some olive oil in it and stared chopping my onion, bell pepper, red pepper, onion and garlic.
Cooked on low heat until tender.





Cut up my squash & added to aromatics. Added salt & pepper and some Zaatar
I had some Orecchiette on hand and threw that in a pot of boiling water. I thought the Orecchiette would be nice, because it would cup the ingredients & sauce like a little blanket.

When the pasta was about ready I added my lovely fresh tomatoes.
Cooked them down just a bit. So all the flavors could come together.
Pasta getting ready to get in on the party.
Pasta in. I had a blend of  shredded Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina & Mild Provalone Cheeses, threw a couple handfuls in & put some fresh chopped Basil & Marjoram & we were ready to go!
Enjoy something new, fresh & easy tonight.
I hope this will inspire you to get in the kitchen and create!

And honey, yes I wrote it down!

4 comments:

  1. pasta with homegrown vegies sounds awesome and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was comforting. We had leftovers last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Brian and I am a Divaholic.

    In the past two weeks I have copied two of the Diva’s recipes – not exactly, because my pantry isn’t stocked as well as the Diva’s, but adding my own spin to her basic recipe, and OMG they were fantastic.

    Last Friday we had dinner with the Diva and she served a casserole side dish that she “threw together” with things from her garden and refrigerator that we flipped over. So we grilled her for her recipe and learned that there was no recipe, but she sorta told us what she had done to make it. So on Sunday I attempted the same process and was really pleased with the results.

    Then this week, reading the Diva’s Garden Pasta posting got the old gastric juices flowing, and so last night, after Richard came in from the garden with more tomatoes than we knew what to do with, the first of the red peppers and what I think will be the last of the eggplant, we decided to make a garden pasta based on the Diva’s posting. Again, it wasn’t an exact duplicate, but we used her example as a starting point and OMG it was to die for. Light, fresh and so tasty. I don’t think I’m going to ever be able to go back to store bought tomatoes again.

    Anyhow, this is my admission that I am a Divaholic, a Divatic , a convert to the idea that cooking isn’t scary or necessarily a chore. And isn’t admitting something the first step toward getting better?

    -- Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brain,
    Thank you, soooo much! That makes me happy to know that my writing and feeding you has helped you relax in your kitchen and let go and create something fabulous!
    Do as the Diva does. Grab a glass of wine (or 2 or 3) and have at it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for me!